Dakgalbi Fried Rice. Korean BBQ has gained world recognition – especially the most famous cuts like lateral strips of pork belly (Samgyeopsal) or slices of beef (Chadolbaegi). In Korea, there is another variation involving chicken called Dakgalbi. Dakgalbi is a spicy-stir fried chicken dish that’s typically cooked in front of you on a large round hot plate. The chicken is marinated in a gochujang-based sauce, and cooked with fresh perilla leaves, cabbage, scallions and rice cakes (recipe here). Towards the end of the meal, these dakgalbi restaurants will use the leftover pieces of chicken on your grill and use it to make a delicious stir-fried rice. I think it’s hands-down, the best fried rice ever! Today, I wanted to show you how to make it at home as the main meal!
In the video, I used chicken breast as I had alot leftover from our recent chicken buldak recipe. But we recommend using chicken thigh (with skin-on) to impart even more flavor into the rice.
- This recipe is for a 1-person serving. To make for 2-people, double all ingredients (including the sauce)
- Make sure to add some roasted, salted laver to the top – provides the perfect seasoning!
- Some restaurants also add cheese to the rice – makes it even more savory!
Hope you enjoy it Neighbors! Keep this recipe bookmarked so you can have an alternative to the regular Chinese Fried Rice!
Dan-yup signing off! 🕺
Dakgalbi Fried Rice
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 1 whole Chicken Breast
- 1/4 whole Onion
- 1 stalk Spring Onion
- 1/3 cup Kimchi
- A handful Gim (Laver)
Fried Rice Marinade
- 1 Tablespoon Gochujang
- 1 Tablespoon Gochugaru
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Mirim
- 1 teaspoon (!) Sesame Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3-4 cracks Black Pepper
- 2 pinches Salt
- Dice the chicken breast (or thigh) into small bite-sized pieces.
- Dice the onion into small pieces. Cut spring onion into thin slices. And measure 1/3 cup of Kimchi. Cut the Kimchi into small pieces with a pair of scissors.
- Make Fried Rice Marinade: Mix Gochujang (1 Tablespoon), Gochugaru (1 Tablespoon), Soy Sauce (1 Tablespoon), Sugar (1 Tablespoon), Mirim (1 Tablespoon), Sesame Oil (1 teaspoon!), Mince 2 cloves of garlic, Black Pepper (3-4 cracks) and Salt (2 Pinches).
Make Fried Rice
- Take out a frying pan (or skillet). Place on MEDIUM heat. Place vegetable oil in. Once its hot, drop in the spring onion pieces. Stir-fry around until you can smell the spring onion in the air.
- Then add in the chicken pieces. Let it cook until you get some browning on one side. Then add in the diced onion and kimchi. Stir-fry everything together until the chicken is cooked 80% through.
- Next, add in about 50% of the spicy marinade. Stir-fry it all for around 30 seconds.
- Now, add-in the cooked rice. Make sure to add more sauce too (you can add it all in!). Then stir-fry until the rice is evenly coated. (Optional: At the point, you can sprinkle on some shredded cheese too!)
- Then use a wooden spoon or spatula and flatten out the rice on the frying pan. Let it cook for a 15-20 more seconds. Then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with dried laver flakes (gim). Bon Appetit!