Korean Buldak Fire Chicken. It's a favorite drunk food for many late-nighters! An addictively stir-fried spicy chicken that's been marinated in a variety of Korean spices. It became a hit-menu after a food company in Korea introduced a ridiculously spicy ramen called Ssamyang Hot Chicken Noodles! Chances are you've seen mukbang reviews on it on Youtube. (And no, they are not exaggerating - the spice is real!)
At my current age, I am not interested in having a "spice hangover" and spending the next day in the bathroom! But I do enjoy that buldak flavor. It's a spice that's strangely addictive. So I worked on a buldak recipe that brings that spice level down from a 9 to about a 6! Something that you could genuinely enjoy without sweating... alongside a cup of beer! To add more savoriness, we will throw in some gooey cheese. The combination is heavenly - and an immediate stress reliever!
Now, if you want to make it more spicy for yourself, there are a few ingredients that you can tweak:
- Increase the Gochugaru from 3 Tablespoons to 4.
- Increase the Diced Chili Peppers from 2 Tablespoons to 4.
That should do the trick! But again, its up to you... heaven 😇 or hell 👹
- 600 grams Chicken Breast (Or Chicken Thigh)
- ½ whole Onion
- 2 handfuls Mozzarella Cheese
- A handful of Green Onion (Garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons Gochujang
- 3 Tablespoons Gochugaru
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Mirim
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 5-6 shakes Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Cheongyang Chili Pepper (Or Jalapeno Pepper)
- Cut chicken breast (or thighs) into bite-sized pieces.
- Then make the Buldak marinade: Mix Gochujang (2 Tablespoons), Gochuguar (3 Tablespoons), Soy Sauce (3 Tablespoons), Sugar (1 Tablespoon), Honey (1 Tablespoon), Mirim (2 Tablespoons), Minced Garlic (1 Tablespoon), Sesame Oil (1 Tablespoon), Oyster Sauce (1 Tablespoon), Black Pepper (5-6 shakes), Cheongyang Chili Pepper (2 Tablespoons)
- Then cut and onion into thin strips. Add it to the chicken and give another good stir. Let it all marinate for 1 hour.
Cook Buldak Chicken
- Place some vegetable oil into a frying pan or wok. Place it on a medium-high heat. Once its hot, place in the chicken. Give it a few good stirs - then place a lid on. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, open the lid and give another a good stir. Now reduce to a medium heat. Let it gently simmer for 2 more minutes - without the lid. Take the frying pan off the heat and briefly set it aside.
- Take out an oven-friendly bowl (or microwave-friendly). Add a layer of Mozzarella cheese. Then add a few scoops of the chicken. Spread on another layer of cheese. Then scoop on another layer of the chicken. Finish with another top layer of cheese.
- Place the bowl into oven (or microwave) and cook until the cheese melts and start to bubble.
- Take it out and garnish with some chopped green onions. Serve with an ice-cold beer!