Egg Fried Rice – Korean Style! (5 Minutes)
Today, I’ll show you how to make quite possibly, the world’s easiest egg fried rice.
This ultra-simple recipe has become popular here in Korea – especially among college students who are living in dormitories.
I’ve found myself making this, alongside a bowl of ramen at night – as one packet of ramen is never enough. I’m always craving a little something more…
This is the perfect “more”.In this recipe, all we need is 2 eggs, a piece of spring onion (or scallions) and a cup of cooked white rice.
Cooking Note for Egg Fried Rice:
In the video, I purposely used egg yolks only. The thick egg yolks will coat each grain of rice – giving it an appetizing golden color at the end.
It makes for a beautiful visual!
However, if you don’t care too much for the visual (and simply looking to fill your stomach), it's okay to use the whole eggs. No problemo!
Now for the seasoning: If you want deeper flavor, use a small amount of soy sauce (~1 teaspoon) and oyster sauce (1 ~teaspoon).
When you add these two condiments, don’t pour it directly over the rice.
Instead, move the rice over to one side and pour them into the empty side of the pan – so that it can sizzle in the heat for 10-15 seconds.
This brings out a deeper flavor in both the sauces.
Finally, remember to finish with 1-2 pinches of salt. The salt is important at the end to get that flavor just right!
Sounds simple enough? Cheers to a 5-minute Egg Fried Rice!
And if you have some Kimchi in the refrigerator, lay a small strips on each bite. OMG, I'm making myself hungry writing this.
Much love to ya'll from Korea! 😘
If you make it at home, tag us on IG. We love seeing picture of your dishes in the morning!
-Daniel out 🕺
(P.s. If you’re cooking alone, don’t get bored. Consider listening to our latest podcast episode while you cook!)
- 1 Stalk Spring Onion (forearm-length piece)
- 1 Cup Cooked (Short-Grain) White Rice
- 2 Egg Yolks
- ½ Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (for mixing into rice)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (for stir-frying)
- 1-2 small pinches of Salt
- Few cracks of Black Pepper
Additional Seasoning for MORE Flavor
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- 5-6 Frozen Shrimp
Prep Ingredients & Coat Rice
- Cut 1 stalk of spring onion into small pieces.
- Scoop 1 Cup of Cooked Rice into a bowl. Separate two egg yolks and add to the rice.
- Then use a spoon and thoroughly mix the egg yolks into the rice.
- Add ½ Tablespoon of Vegetable oil into the mixed rice. Give it another good stir - set aside!
Make Egg Fried Rice
- Place Vegetable Oil (2 Tablespoons) into a frying pan. Place on medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add in the sliced Spring Onion pieces.
- [Optional Step: If you'll add in minced beef, chicken or shrimp... add it in now and stir-fry]
- Now, add in the rice mixture. Stir-fry it around - and break down any large lumps.
- [Optional Step: If you have soy sauce and oyster sauce - let's add it now. Move the rice to one side - then add-in a small amount (~1 teaspoon) of each sauce to the empty part of the pan. Let the sauces sizzle in the heat for 10-15 seconds. Then mix it well into the rice.]
- Finish the fried rice by seasoning with a few pinches of salt. Along with a few cracks of black pepper.
- Scoop the rice into a small bowl. Then flip it upside-down into a plate!
- Bon Appetit! Pull out some banchan and enjoy it with the fried rice.
DIANNA JIAMES says
OMG THIS IS SO AMAZING I HAVE BEEN ALL OVER YOUTUBE TRYING TO FIND THIS RECIPE.