Bacon Garlic Fried Rice and Minced Beef Tofu. We wanted to begin introducing simple asian-inspired dinners for the workdays. Dinner recipes which taste great and could make up for a bad day at work 😉
Like most, I am a big fan of bacon and garlic. So its a no brainer to put this into a stir-fried rice. The key step to this dish is to infuse the cooking oil with garlic. The flavored oil shines through the rice and plays well with the other ingredients. Also, there is no need to add any additional salt to the rice as the soy sauce will do the job.
Next, onto the minced beef braised tofu. This one is a new tofu dish I started trying out for myself. It is similar to our other braised tofu recipe. But now you have minced beef as a topping. For vegetarians, this also works great with minced shiitake mushrooms. As I mentioned in the video, if you don't like spicy - I would recommend using ½ of the Cheongyang pepper or ¼ of a Jalapeno (without the seeds).
I am sure you will enjoy this combination. Leave a comment if you want to see more of these dinner ideas!
P.s. Persimmons are now in season. If you have tasted the fruit before, there is your #mini-goal for the week.
Bacon Garlic Fried Rice & Minced Beef Tofu
Minced Beef Tofu
- Medium-firm or firm tofu - 1 block 300 grams
- Minced beef - 100 grams
- Cheongyang chili peppers - 1 pepper or use ½ for less spicy
- Onion - ¼ a whole
- Spring onion - garnish
- Salt - sprinkle
Beef Marinade Sauce
- Soy sauce - 4 tablespoon
- Mirin - 3 tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil - 1 tablespoon
- Honey - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper - few shakes of
Garlic Bacon Stir-Fried Rice
- Bacon - 5 strips of
- Spring onion - 10 inch piece of
- Onion - ¼ whole
- Garlic - 5 cloves of
- Eggs - 1
- Rice - 1 cup
- Soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds - garnish
- Sesame oil - garnish
- Cut tofu block into 8 pieces. Put a paper towel onto a plate and place tofu pieces on the paper towel. Dab down the tofu pieces with another paper towel to get rid of the excess water (Gently pat - no need to get all the water out). Set aside.
- Then dice the onion and chili pepper into small pieces. Place them into a mixing bowl. Then add-in diced beef. Then mix-in all of the listed ingredients under 'Beef Marinade Sauce'. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Put frying pan on a medium-high heat. Put oil in. Once hot, place tofu pieces in. Season one side with a sprinkle of salt (not too much!). Cook on both sides until they get a slightly crispy skin. Take the tofu pieces and place them onto a plate.
- Then place the beef marinade sauce into the frying pan. Let the sauce cook until the beef pieces are fully cooked through. Then add the tofu pieces back in. Use a spatula to flip them over and coat both sides with the marinade. Cook and reduce the marinade until about half of the sauce is gone. Turn off the heat.
- Plate and garnish with sesame seeds and spring onion.
Prep Bacon & Garlic
- Cut bacon into ~1 inch strips. Then cut spring onion into small pieces. Dice the onion into small cubes. And slice the garlic cloves into smaller flat pieces.
- Place the frying pan on a high heat. Put oil in. Place garlic pieces in the oil. Stir-around until they get slightly crispy on the edges. Then add in the bacon. Once the bacon gets a slight crisp, add the onions. Then quickly stir until onions turn translucent. Move this mixture to one side of the pan. Then add some oil to the other side of the pan. Crack an egg into the oil. Quickly scramble the egg until it looks like a runny scramble eggs. Then add in a bowl of rice. Put in the soy sauce and mix everything together well. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with spring onion, sesame seeds and a touch of sesame oil. Plate-it-up. Enjoy!
- For the tofu: If you don’t like spicy – I would recommend using ½ of the Cheongyang pepper or ¼ of a Jalapeno (without the seeds).
- For vegetarians, replace beef with minced shiitake mushrooms.
- Watch the video below for more details