Spicy Tofu Bowl with Samgyeopsal (Pork Belly). That's right! Today, we will fuse together two Korean dishes: Soondubu Stew and Samgyeopsal.
So what does it taste like?
Well, the stew tastes like Soondubu - spicy, smoky and deep in flavor. Get a few, large spoonfuls of the silken tofu and broth. Pour it over hot rice and mix it together. Take a bite and instantly - your eyes will open up. In fact, you will find yourself smiling from the amazing taste.
But wait, it's not over! Go back to the stew and pick out a few slices of grilled pork belly. The endorphins in your brain will start flowing 🙂
Ok, perhaps a bit exaggerated. But this is a must-try recipe!
Spicy Tofu Stew with Pork Belly Strips
- Samgyeopsal Pork Belly Strips - 300 grams
- Extra soft tofu silky - 1 tube
- Onion - ¼ a whole
- Spring onion - 1 stalk size of your forearm
- Water - ¼ cup
- Mild chili pepper - 2 optional, garnish
- Enoki mushrooms - ½ a package optional, garnish
- Gochujang Korean red chili pepper paste - 1 Tablespoon
- Gochugaru Korean red chili pepper flakes - 1 Tablespoon
- Mirim or any white cooking wine - 2 Tablespoons
- Soy Sauce - 2 Tablespoons
- Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - few shakes
- Cut Samgyeopsal into 2 inch strips. Cut onion, spring onion and chili peppers into thin slices. Then cut the stem off the enoki mushrooms and give them a thorough wash. Set aside.
- Make spicy marinade: Take out a large mixing bowl and mix-in all of the listed ingredients
- Put frying pan on a medium-high heat. Once hot, place the Samgyeopsal pieces in (without any oil). Grill pieces until you get searing on one-side. Turn off then heat.
- Use tongs or chopsticks to pick out each meat piece and place them into the mixing bowl with the spicy marinade. (Note: Do not pour the meat into the marinade... we don't want all the grease from the frying pan to get into the marinade). Use your chopsticks to coat each meat piece thoroughly.
- Use a few paper towels to wipe out the grease in the frying pan. Place the frying pan on a medium heat. Once it is hot, place the coated meat pieces back in. Put in the onion slices. Then, put in the water immediately.
- Next, place the silky tofu in. Use any kitchen utensil to gently break up the very large pieces of tofu. Then, let it boil for 30 seconds - so it can absorb the flavors of the stew.
- Finally, place enoki mushrooms in. Top it off with chili peppers and spring onions.
- Eat with a bowl of hot rice 🙂
- You can replace pork with beef. Thinly sliced beef (shabu-shabu cuts) would work well
- If you are vegan, try using king oyster mushrooms (cut into thin sections)
- Eat with a bowl of hot rice
- See video below for more details