Tofu Steak didn’t initially sound too appealing. But after seeing a video walk-thru of this recipe on a Korean TV show, it piqued my interest!
I was particularly interested by the fact that minced tofu could sear like a regular hamburger. Topped with a medley of mushrooms, tofu steak looked like a hearty meal that I could enjoy regularly – and not just for the fact that it feels healthy!
Tofu Steak is not a traditional Korean dish, but a recipe that has been trending lately among home-cooks in Korea. The recipes is a play on the popular German dish, ‘hamburg steak‘, which is minced beef shaped into a patty and covered with gravy. Our steak is paired with a mushroom medley sauce using Shiitake, Button and Enoki mushrooms. This sauce is light as it doesn’t use any butter. It gives the tofu a savory taste and keeps you coming back for more!
We did not have any particular difficulties with this dish, but a few tips: Make sure to cook on a medium heat, as it will be quick to burn. Also, you can replace breadcrumbs with either flour or potato starch. Note for our vegetarian neighbors that this recipe includes eggs and oyster sauce.
Tofu Steak with Mushroom Medley Sauce
Yield 2-3 people
Never knew that Tofu could sear like a burger! It's a fantastic way to dress up tofu - a dish you will remember.
- Tofu - 1 Block
- Onion - 1/3 whole
- Carrot - 30 grams
- Scallions - 2 stalks
- Eggs - 1
- Breadcrumbs - 4 Tablespoons
- Salt - few pinches
- Black pepper - few pinches
- Shiitake mushrooms - 4
- Button mushrooms - 3
- Enoki mushrooms - 1 package
- Onion - 1/2 a whole
- Cooking wine - 2 Tablespoons
- Soy sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Oyster sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Sugar - 2 teaspoon
- Water - 3 Tablespoons
- Sesame oil - 1/2 teaspoon
- Microgreens - garnish
- Sesame seeds - garnish
- Wrap tofu block in a kitchen towel to squeeze out all of the moisture.
- Then smoosh the block with a knife (refer to video) and place the tofu crumbles into a mixing bowl.
- Dice onion, carrot and scallions and place into the mixing bowl. Mix together.
- Then drop in an egg into the mixture and mix it in.
- Then put in breadcrumbs and do a final mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice shiitake and button mushrooms as well as the onions.
- Separate the enoki mushroom from each other with your hands.
- Make sauce: Mix-in soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and rice wine
- Place large frying pan on medium heat and put in cooking oil (wait until frying pan is hot!).
- Place tofu steak patties in and flip when golden brown.
- Cook until each side is golden brown. Set aside.
- Put oil into frying pan and place onions in.
- Once onions start turning clear, add in all of the mushrooms. Cook until you get some browning on the mushrooms.
- Then add in the sauce. Then put about 3T of water in.
- Let the sauce cook and reduce for about a minute. Then turn off the heat.
- Finish by placing sesame oil into the sauce.
- Note this recipe includes eggs and oyster sauce.
- Make sure to cook the patties on a medium or medium-low heat, as will burn on higher heats.
- Also, you can replace breadcrumbs with either flour or potato starch - makes firmer patties
- Watch video below for more details