Shrimp Fried Rice. Nope - you can't go wrong with fried rice! It's a good choice for new home cooks. If you haven't tried any of our recipes yet, I would nudge you to try this one 😉
With fried rice, you always need side-dishes to munch on. Here are a few banchan ideas to pair with your rice:
Danmuji is pickled Korean radish. You may have already tried it - as it is a popular ingredient in kimbap. They taste sweet, tart and tangy straight out of the package. Today, I will show you another popular way to dress and serve danmuji. To make danmuji muchim, we will add gochugaru, minced garlic and sesame oil. Simply great for refreshing your palate.
The other banchan are these mini Korean sausages. I love to cook them for breakfast with some scrambled eggs. In Korean grocery marts, they are sold as "Vienna Sausages". Having growing up in the US, I know the term "vienna sausage" brings up images of canned food and earthquake survival kits. Haha - not good! But these Korean sausages are fresh and easy to cook. But feel free to use any sausages you like!
Shrimp Fried Rice, Danmuji Muchim and Mini Sausages
- Short grain rice - 1.5 cups fully-cooked
- Spring onion - forearm length piece use both white and green pieces
- Onion - ½ a whole
- Zucchini - 2-inch piece measure up to 2nd crease in pointer finger
- Carrot - 2-inch piece measure up to 2nd crease in pointer finger
- Shrimp - 6-9
- Egg - 1
Fried Rice Seasoning
- Oyster Sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Soy Sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - few shakes
- Black Pepper - few shakes
- Danmuji - 250 grams
- Spring onion - Forearm length piece use green piece
- Gochugaru - ½ Tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - few shakes
- Sesame oil - few dabs to taste
- Korean mini sausages - 5 pieces "Vienna Sausages"
- Slice spring onion into thin slices. Finely dice onion, zucchini and carrots into small cubes.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Chop shrimp into smaller pieces. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Put frying pan on medium heat. Crack an egg in. Use a spatula and scramble it around immediately. Put it out onto a plate. Set aside.
Make Fried Rice
- Put frying pan on medium-high heat. Pour oil into the frying pan. Place spring onion pieces in.
- Once you see the spring onions sizzling in the pan, place in the onion, zucchini and carrot pieces.
- Once you see the onion pieces turning translucent, place-in the shrimp pieces. Stir around
- Once shrimp turns orange, put in scrambled eggs.
- Then put in oyster sauce. Give it a thorough stir.
- Put in the rice. Then put in soy sauce in. Give it another stir. Turn off heat.
- Add salt and black pepper (to taste).
- Garnish with spring onion. Enjoy!
- Squeeze out the water from danmuji. Cut them into half-circles. Cut spring onion into small pieces.
- Take out a mixing bowl. Put danmuji and spring onion into the mixing bowl.
- Put gochugaru, minced garlic, sesame seeds and sesame oil in. Use your hands to mix and coat them thoroughly. Enjoy!
- Put frying pan on medium-high heat. Put some oil in. Then let them cook until you the skins pop and get see a nice crispy skin. Enjoy!
- Watch video below for more details