Kalbi Bowl. We will pan-fry some Kalbi and lay it over a bed of spicy-but-tangy spring onions. Looks appetizing no? Bookmark this recipe for a weekday dinner!
When I used to take extended business trips in Europe, I enjoyed making Kalbi on the weekends. It was a good way to kick-back and connect with work colleagues. With the leftovers, I made simple weekday bowls like this. Makes a very satisfying dinner!
Korean Kalbi Bowl with Spring Onion Salad
Kalbi Beef Strips
- Beef - 150 grams use your favorite steak cut
- Onion - 1/4 a whole
- Soy sauce - 1.5 Tablespoons
- Minced garlic - 1 Tablespoon
- Sugar - 1 Tablespoon
- Mirin - 1 Tablespoon optional
- Black pepper - few shakes
Spring Onion Salad
- Spring Onion - 1 stalk forearm length, use white and green portion
- Gochugaru Korean red chili flakes - 1 teaspoon
- Soy sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil - 1/2 teaspoon
Prep Korean Kalbi
- Cut beef into thin strips. Best to slice the meat against the grain (reference video). Cut the onion into thin strips as well
- Make the marinade: Mix soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, mirin, and black pepper thoroughly.
- Place meat strips into marinade. Let it soak for 15-30 minutes. (30 minutes is best, but 15 is ok if you are in a rush 🙂 )
Make Spring Onion Salad
- Cut the spring onion stalk into finger-length pieces. Collect the white stalks - and split each piece down the middle. Stack each layer on top of each other. Then make very thin Julienne slices. Repeat for the green stalk pieces as well.
- Fill a mixing bowl with very cold water. Put the spring onion slices in and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Now let make sauce: Mix gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil thoroughly together.
- After 15 minutes, drain the spring onion slices and let them drip-off excess water. Then place them in a mixing bowl. Put the sauce in and mix thoroughly. Salad is ready!
Grill meat and make Bowl
- Put frying pan on high heat. Put some oil in.
- Once oil is hot, place meat pieces in. Then add onion slices.
- Cook meat to your preference. Turn off heat. Set aside
- Take out a bowl. Put some rice on the bottom. Add a layer of spring onion slices. Then add beef strips and onions on top. Enjoy!
- See video below for more details