Spinach & Gouda Chicken.
We saw this recipe on a Korean Celebrity TV Cooking Show called Sumin’s Banchan (수미네 반찬). They had a guest Bulgarian chef on an episode and he showcased a dish called “Spinachy Chicken”.
The presentation looked so appetizing, and easy to make. Plus, it included some of my favorite cheeses like feta and smoked gouda!
The host took a bite of the chicken and her reaction was genuine. She described it as a dish that belongs in a “luxury hotel in Europe”.
I was sold. We had to give it a shot!
Over this past weekend, we made it for dinner. And happy to report – that it was amazingly good!
KEY FLAVOR VARIABLE
It’s all about the cheese!
That mix of feta and shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese provides just the right amount of sharp-salty notes.
While the smoked gouda retains its creamy, thick texture. (I think it’s the best part – try to get it at the market!)
You can of course, substitute any of the cheeses with your personal favorites.
I’m usually not a sauce person - always take it on the side!
But this is one of those dishes where the sauce stands out! Like hollandaise sauce on egg benedict. It would be complete without it.
When making the cream sauce, I recommend putting in just a few squeezes of yellow mustard – about the same amount you would put on a hot-dog.
So what does it taste like?
The sauce itself has a creamy, light-mustard taste (it’s not heavy like a creamy pasta sauce).
This recipe below will produce enough spinach filling for 3 chicken breasts.
If you have a big family, double-up the ingredients. Then pack the stuffed chicken breast in plastic wrap – and place them in the freezer.
I hope ya’ll like this dish! We want to introduce more non-Korean dishes in the near future as well.
-Daniel out 🕺
- 2 Large Handfuls Spinach
- 50-70 grams Feta Cheese
- A palmful of Parmigiano Reggiano
- Few shakes Black Pepper
- Few slices Smoked Gouda
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- Few shakes Salt
- Few shakes Black Pepper
- 200 ml Heavy Cream
- Few cracks of Black Pepper
- Few squeezes of Yellow Mustard
Make Spinach Filling
- Place water in a pot and bring to a boil. Place in two large handfuls of spinach. Blanche for 45 seconds.
- After 45 seconds, drain the spinach through a sieve. Run under cold water. Afterwards, use your hands to thoroughly squeeze the water out of the spinach. (Get out as much water as you can.)
- Use a knife and chop the spinach into small pieces. Place it into a bowl. Grate or crumble the feta cheese into the bowl as well. Next, grate a small amount of Parmigiano Reggiano inot the bowl. Then season with 3-4 cracks of black pepper.
- Use your hand to thoroughly mix the spinach and cheese mixture together.
Prep Chicken Breast
- Use a knife and slice through the mid-section of the chicken. (Don't slice it all-the-way through.) After you have opened the chicken breast, place it in a plastic bag (or Ziploc). Then gently pound out the meat with a kitchen mallet, bread roller or the bottom of your frying pan.
- Take the chicken out of the bag. Season both sides with a few pinches of salt and black pepper. Now we'll fill it. Place a few slices of the smoked gouda on one side. Followed by a scoop of the spinach filling. Fold the chicken closed and pat-it-down so the fillings don't fall out.
- Put some oil in a frying pan. Get the oil hot on a medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, turn the heat down to a MEDIUM-LOW. Then carefully place-in your stuffed chicken breast. Let it cook for a total of 5-8 minutes. Flip it once you see the side turning white.
Make Creamy Sauce
- Place heavy cream (200ml) in a pot. Place the pot on a medium-heat. Once it starts boiling, add in a few cracks of black pepper and a few squeezes of yellow mustard. Use a spatula to thoroughly mix the mustard in. The white color will start to turn into a creamy color. Give it a taste. Feel free to add in another small squeeze of mustard if you want a stronger taste.
- Cut chicken into a few pieces. Then drizzle a few spoonfuls of the creamy sauce over the chicken. Bon Appetit!
Leave a comment (no sign-in required!)