Sagol Yuksu. In Korea, Sagol means beef leg. Yuksu means broth. Together, it is beef leg bone broth. Sagol Yuksu is sold in individual packets at most Korean supermarkets. Purchase a few bags and store it in your pantry or refrigerator. And next time you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup, put it to use! Today, I’ll teach you how to make Tteokguk (rice cake soup) in under 5 minutes. We’ll toss-in some fat dumplings to make it extra tasty. It’s hands-down my favorite Tteokguk recipe!
This recipe is super simple – so whip it up anytime. I’ll leave a few cooking notes:
- The recipe will make enough for 2 people
- If you don’t have Tteok, use only dumplings – tastes just as good.
- If you’re vegetarian – you can skip the beef
- If you see that the soup has reduced by too much, simply add more sagol yuksu. Add a touch more of minced garlic and salt.
If you like this recipe, I’ll show you how to make Seolleongtang too with Sagol Yuksu!
Good night ya’ll! 🙌
- 2 cups of Sagol Yuksu
- 2 handfuls of Rice cakes (tteok)
- 150 grams of Minced Beef
- 4 Dumplings
- 1 stalk of Spring Onion (length of forearm)
- A drizzle of Sesame Oil (for cooking beef)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
- Few sprinkles of Crumbled Seaweed Flakes (optional, garnish)
- Few shakes of Black pepper (optional, garnish)
- Thaw your frozen Tteok in warm water. (This will help them cook faster later)
- Chop the spring onion stalk into thin pieces. Place them into a mixing bowl. Break two eggs in. Now slightly mix the egg into the spring onion pieces (don't over-mix it).
- Place a large pot on medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of sesame oil. Throw in the meat pieces and stir-fry until the outside turns slightly brown. Now add in the Sagol Yuksu (2 cups).
- Once the broth comes to boil, use a soup ladle to remove the scum at the surface. Now drain the water out from the soaking Tteok. Add the soft Tteok into the boiling broth. Then add-in your frozen dumplings.
- Add minced garlic (2 cloves worth) into the broth. Then add the salt (1/2 Tablespoon). Let it all boil for 2 minutes. Check that the rice cake is soft. If it is, turn off the heat.
- Plate and garnish with a pinch of diced spring onion, crumbled seaweed flakes, and black pepper. Bon Appetit!