Spicy Korean Stir-fried Squid is a delicious way to eat squid. Check out this dish below 😉
When I travel through Europe and Northern America, it is hard to find squid dishes in restaurants. If you do find one, it is usually served as deep-fried calamari. In Korea, we like to eat squid stir-fried in a spicy and tangy chili sauce with fresh vegetables. Today, I will show you how to make it at home.
It is a a perfect dish to learn how to clean and prep squid. Rather than explaining it here, I link to another video which details how to do it. If that seems to intimidating now, simply ask your butcher to clean it for you 😉
This dish is typically eaten with a bowl of hot rice as it is too spicy to eat alone! Please note that this recipe requires a teaspoon of Gochujang (Korean red chili paste). You can find the paste at a local Korean grocery store or from Amazon.
Spicy Korean Stir-fried Squid
- Whole Squid - 2
- Bell pepper - ½ a whole
- Shiitake mushrooms - 2
- Carrot - 5 cm Measure to second wrinkle in pointer finger
- Onion - ½ a whole
- Spring onion - ½ a stalk
- Cheongyang chili peppers - 2 Or ½ Jalapeno pepper, no seeds
- Minced garlic - 2 teaspoons
- Sesame oil - 2 teaspoon
- Soy sauce - 10 teaspoons
- Sugar - 4 teaspoons
- Gochugaru - 3 teaspoons
- Gochujang - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - 3 pinches
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Cut the carrot into rectangular strips and then cut those pieces in half.
- Slice the bell pepper and mushrooms into long strips.
- Slice spring onion and chili pepper at a slight angle.
- After cleaning the squid, bring a pot up to a roaring boil.
- Put the squid in boiling water for exactly 2 minutes. Pour out the squid through a drainer.
- Then cut the squid body (tube) in half and cut it into 1-2 cm thin strips. Cut and separate each tentacle from each other.
- Take out a mixing bowl. Add Gochugaru (3 teaspoons), Gochujang (1 teaspoon), Soy Sauce (10 teaspoons), Sugar (4 teaspoons), Black Pepper (3 pinches) together and mix throughly.
- Place a large frying pan on high heat. Add oil to the pan. Then add minced garlic to the oil.
- Once the garlic starts to sizzle in the oil, add the marinade in. Once the marinade starts to boil, add-in the diced squid pieces.
- Then add the vegetables. Stir together and coat all of the vegetables with the marinade.
- Turn off heat once the vegetables are half-way cooked. Add in a touch of sesame oil and give one more stir. Plate and enjoy with a bowl of rice.
- Watch video below for more details