Samgyeopsal Udon Stirfry. One of my favorite noodles to use in stir-fries is Japanese Udon Noodles. I love its bouncy and slightly-chewy feel. Udon noodles are made from flour so they soak-in stir-fry sauces very quickly. For our protein, we'll go with Korean-Style Pork Belly (Samgyeopsal). As the pork belly cooks and crisps-up, it will release a fair amount of oil that we can flavor with onions, garlic and chili peppers. Finally, we'll toss it in a delicious balanced soy-sauce. Sounds good? Don't wait - it only takes 10 minutes!
A few cooking notes:
- When cooking the Samgyeopsal pieces, don't forget to season it with a few shakes of salt and black pepper
- If you're using a thick cut of Samgyeopsal, a good amount of oil will pool in the pan. Use a few paper towels to soak-up the excess oil before you add-in the onions, garlic and peppers (this way the dish doesn't turn too oily)
- If you can't find Samgyeopsal in your area, substitute it with any thin cuts of pork or beef.
Give it a shot this weekend and let me know what you think! 🤠Dan-yul out!! 🕺
P.s. For more flavor, add-in your favorite mushrooms (oh yea!)
- 2 strips Samgyeopsal (Pork Belly) 200 grams
- Few shakes of Salt (for seasoning Samgyeopsal)
- Few shakes of Black Pepper (for seasoning Samgyeopsal)
- ¼ of a whole Onion
- 2 whole Cheongyang Chili Peppers (or substitute with 1 Jalapeno)
- 2 stalks Green Onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 large handful of Mungbean Sprouts
- 1 package of Udon Noodles
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoons Mirim (Rice Wine)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Minced Ginger (Optional, can also use ginger powder)
- Cut Samgyeopsal into thin bite-sized pieces. Dice onion into thin slices. Cut spicy chili peppers into thin pieces. Cut green onion into finger-length pieces. Dice garlic cloves into very thin slices. Grab a large handful of mungbean sprouts and give it a thorough wash.
Make Stir-fry Sauce
- Mix Soy Sauce (1 Tablespoon), Mirim (1.5 Tablespoons), Worcestershire Sauce (2 teaspoons), Oyster Sauce (2 teaspoons), Sugar (1 Tablespoon), Minced Ginger (½ teaspoon). Give it a nice stir!
Boil Udon Noodles
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Once it starts boiling, cook the noodles for exactly 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then drain and rinse under cold water.
- Put a large wok or frying pan on medium-high heat. Place-in the Samgyeopsal pieces. Season the meat with a good amount of salt and black pepper. Cook them on both sides until they get a nice crispy skin. You'll see a good amount of oil pool in the pan. Grab a few paper towels and carefully soak-up the extra oil in the pan.
- Now add-in the garlic pieces, onion slices and chopped chili peppers. Stir-fry it around for about 1 minute. Now, add in the Stirfry Sauce and the Udon Noodles. Stir everything around for another 30 seconds.
- We're almost done. Add-in the Mungbean Sprouts. As well as the Green Onion pieces. Stir-around for a final 1 minute. Now, turn off the heat and plate. Garnish with some chopped green onions. Bon Appetit!