Rice Cooker Castella Cake. Today, we are going to do something sacrilegious. Put something other than rice in the rice cooker. Cooking gods, forgive me.
This recipe put a smile on our faces. Seeing a cake plop out of the rice cooker was too funny. At first, we doubted that it would taste good. But were pleasantly surprised by the results. Enough so to make a video and share the goods news with our neighbors 🙂
Making Castella cake - the traditional way - is a bit tricky. It also requires a few involved steps like whipping the egg whites into a foam. This mean you need to pull out an electric blender and... well, lot of extra steps. So today, we settle for a simpler method.
Traditional Castella is made of just 4 basic ingredients: bread flour, eggs, sugar, and honey. Which is the same ingredients used in muffin mix. So muffin mix works well as a substitute. However, our version is not as airy and bouncy as the famous ones sold in Korean department stores. I think that took years of experimentation and testing.
Anyhow, if you want to try pain-free baking, give this a shot!
Daniel out 🕺
No Bake - Castella Cake
- Flour - 1.5 cups
- Sugar - ¾ cup
- Baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- Eggs - 3
- Butter - 2 Tablespoons
- Milk - ⅓ cup
- Make Muffin Mix: Take out a mixing bowl. And thoroughly mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Take out another small bowl. Slice off a piece of butter. Melt in microwave for 1 minute.
- Crack 3 eggs into a separate large bowl. Whisk eggs well. Pour half of the melted butter in. Mix into the eggs.
- Take out a strainer and place over the egg mixture. Pour flour into the strainer. Gently tap on the strainer and sift the flour into the egg mixture.
- Finally, pour milk into the mixture.
- Thoroughly mix and blend all of the ingredients together. The batter should be slightly runny and goopy.
- Take out your rice cooker bowl. Brush the remaining melted butter into the bowl. Make sure to coat the sides so the cake don't stick.
- Pour batter into rice cooker bowl. Place bowl into rice cooker. Set it to steam (찜) mode and let it cook for 40 minutes.
- Once 40 minutes is up, use a toothpick and poke the middle to see if the cake has cooked all the way through. If is slightly wet, just let it sit in the cooker for 5-10 more minutes.
- Enjoy with a cup of milk!
- Make sure to use baking powder - not baking soda!
- Poke cake with a toothpick to see if middle is fully cooked through - let it sit in the cooker for 5-10 minutes longer if slightly wet.
- Feel free to add chocolate, fruits and other ingredients into the batter.
- Watch video below for more details