Kimchi Quesadilla – it makes complete sense! It’s just that you have never thought to put the two together before.
The saltiness and spiciness of sautéed Kimchi pairs so well with cheese. In fact, the latest food rage in Seoul (well for the last 6 years) has been Korean-Mexican fusion food. From bulgogi burritos to carne-asada kimchi fries, there is an endless number of combinations to make as the two cuisines work so well together. For an nice intro into Korean-Mexican dishes, start off with this dead-simple kimchi quesadilla recipe. You can whip it up in less than 10 minutes!
Key taste variable: Sautéed Kimchi. Pan-frying the kimchi removes the moisture from the kimchi and infuses a nice smoky flavor.
Kimchi Quesadilla - Sauteed Kimchi with Cheese
- Tortilla - 1
- Mozzarella cheese - 1/3 cup
- Kimchi - 2 Tablespoons
- Shiitake mushrooms - 1 whole
- Scallions - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 teaspoon
Make Kimchi Filling
- Chop kimchi and Shiitake mushroom into small pieces.
- Place butter into a frying pan and put it on medium heat. Put both into a frying pan and stir-fry together. Stop when the kimchi turns slightly brown on the edges. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Put frying pan on medium heat. Place tortilla on frying pan and flip to get both sides hot. Then place the sautéed kimchi and mushrooms on one side of the tortilla. Add scallions on top. Add cheese on top.
- Fold the two halves together. Flip and cook until both sides are golden brown. Garnish with scallions. Enjoy!
- Cook the quesadilla on a medium heat - that way you get a slightly crispy surface and the cheese fully melts.
- See video below for more details