Ex Boyfriend Toast (전남친 토스트)
This has became a trending story (& recipe) in Korea! I heard Katie cracking up in the living room and she quickly shared the chat dialogue between a young Korean couple …
In brief: The girl asks her ex-boyfriend on how to make a blueberry toast that he had made for her in the past.
She quickly mentions: “This is not my way of trying to get back together – I just want to get the recipe for the toast!”
The girl’s way of talking made me smile – heh!
And we thought we should share this humorous story along with our Neighborhood.
The first thought: How could you call your Ex for a recipe?!To open up the floodgates of emotions, past-baggage and memories... for a recipe?!
It must either be one delicious recipe… or she’s one of hell-of-a foodie (lol!)
Curiosity got the best of us both - and we had to try it out for ourselves.
The Ex Boyfriend Toast is... essentially blueberry jam toast with cream-cheese that’s been heated in the microwave for 10~20 seconds.
Everybody knows what cream cheese and blueberry jam tastes like… so I was curious what the microwaving did?
The microwave made the jam and cream cheese melt into another – for a more smooth and creamy spread. Nice touch!
The toasted bread also got softer – it reminded me of biting into a sweet morning pastry roll.
Overall, it tasted good – but hmm, nothing special about the Ex Boyfriend Toast.
So today, I’ll teach you another version - the Current Boyfriend Toast (ahem*)!
The highlight of this toast is the odd - but delicious - combination of toasted walnuts with fresh blueberries (no jam here!)
I think you’ll be rather surprised by how good toasted walnuts taste – in combination with fresh, sweet & tangy blueberries.
It tastes sophisticated, fun and delicious – like you’re having brunch at a hotel café.
Now, don’t forget about the drizzle of fresh honey & a few taps of cinnamon at the end.
The two additions give the toast a well-balanced, sweet & cinnamon-y flavor.
In fact - after filming - Katie wolfed down another Current BoyFriend Toast – noice!
Alrighty, I’ll share both recipes for you below.
Try either – but I would nudge you to go for the second one... a more “mature, wholesome, long-lasting” love.
ㅋㅋ Best regards from Korea!
-Daniel & Katie out 🕺
(P.s. If you’re cooking alone, don’t get bored. Consider listening to our latest podcast episode while you cook!)
- 1 Slice of Milk Bread
- Small piece of Butter
- Small spread of Cream Cheese
- Small spread of Blueberry Jam
- Put frying pan on a MEDIUM-LOW heat. Drop-in a small piece of butter into the frying pan.
- Place a slice of bread into the pan and rub it in the melted butter - on both sides. Then give it some time to toast on each side - until it gets nice and crispy.
- Then spread on some cream cheese.
- Followed by a nice spread of blueberry jam.
- Place in microwave for 15-20 seconds.
- Bon Appetit!
- 1 slice Milk Bread
- Small drizzle Olive Oil
- Small spread Cream Cheese
- Small amount Fresh Blueberries
- Small handful Walnut
- A drizzle Honey
- Few pinches of Cinnamon Powder
- Place a frying pan on medium-high heat. Once its hot, place-in a handful of walnuts. Stir-it around in the heat for a few minutes - until they start to turn a light brown on the edges. Then set it aside.
- Next place a small drizzle of olive oil (or butter) into the frying pan. Then place a slice of bread in and toast it on both sides - until you get a crispy surface.
- Spread cream cheese over the toast. Followed by a handful of blueberries. Then break the toasted walnuts and sprinkle it around the toast.
- Drizzle over some honey - and a few pinches of cinnamon powder!
- Bon Appetit!