Yubu chobap is a great idea for a lunchbox. It is marinated tofu pockets stuffed with seasoned rice and minced vegetables. It is light, healthy and perfect for eating outdoors with a friend.
What does it taste like? The closest comparison is sushi but the flavor profile is different - taste slightly sweet and juicy. This is mostly from the sweet taste of the tofu skins, which come pre-packaged in a vinegar-based sweet sauce.
Please note that 'tofu skin' is actually a misnomer - it is more precisely, soybean milk skin. It is made from the sheets that form on the surface after you boil soymilk. We will not make these tofu skins from scratch, but use readymade kits. These kits include both vinegar sauce and seasoning packets. You can find them at most Korean or Asian markets - simply ask for 'Yubu-chobap'.
Yubu Chobap - A nice mini-meal for a day outdoors
- Sushi rice - 1 cup
- Yubu Chobap - 1 package
- Carrot - 30 grams
- Shiitake mushrooms - 1
- Spring onion - 2 tablespoon
- Salt - Few shakes
- Crab stick - 100 grams
- Cucumber - ½ whole
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tablespoon
- Honey mustard - 1 Tablespoon
Cook rice and prep pockets
- Cook sticky (sushi) rice. Here is a video on how to do it.
- Take out tofu pockets from the packaging. Squeeze the tofu pockets gently (once!) and get rid of excess juice.
- Dice carrots, mushrooms into small cubes - smaller the better. Slice the spring onions into small pieces as well.
- Fry all the vegetables on a frying pan for 1 minute. Season with salt.
Cucumber Crab Topping (Optional)
- Slice the (imitation) crab meat into small pieces. Shred any remaining big pieces with your hand.
- Slice cucumber into small julienne pieces. Use a paper towel to squeeze out water from the cucumber strips.
- Take out a mixing bowl. Add and mix-in the crab meat, cucumbers, mayonnaise and honey mustard together.
- Place cooked rice into a separate bowl. Fan-out the rice and let it sit out for 5 minutes. Then add the seasoning packet and vinegar packet from the kit. The vinegar packet is sweet, so don't add all of it at once. Taste before you add more.
- Then add in your cooked vegetables and fold into the rice.
- Take a tofu pocket and stretch it out. Take a pinch of rice, roll into a ball and place into pocket. Use your fingers to fill out the pocket. Add cucumber crab topping (optional)
- When preparing the tofu skins, give a gentle squeeze. If you squeeze it too hard, you will lose too much of the sweet juice and flavor.
- Also, feel free to use your vegetable of choice - no need to stick verbatim to our recipe.
- For the topping, we are using imitation crab. If you like to use real crab meat - even better!
- Watch video below for more details