Tofu Steak with Mushroom Medley Sauce
Never knew that Tofu could sear like a burger! It's a fantastic way to dress up tofu - a dish you will remember.
Servings: 2 people
- Tofu - 1 Block
- Onion - ⅓ whole
- Carrot - 30 grams
- Scallions - 2 stalks
- Eggs - 1
- Breadcrumbs - 4 Tablespoons
- Salt - few pinches
- Black pepper - few pinches
- Shiitake mushrooms - 4
- Button mushrooms - 3
- Enoki mushrooms - 1 package
- Onion - ½ a whole
- Cooking wine - 2 Tablespoons
- Soy sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Oyster sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Sugar - 2 teaspoon
- Water - 3 Tablespoons
- Sesame oil - ½ teaspoon
- Microgreens - garnish
- Sesame seeds - garnish
Wrap tofu block in a kitchen towel to squeeze out all of the moisture.
Then smoosh the block with a knife (refer to video) and place the tofu crumbles into a mixing bowl.
Dice onion, carrot and scallions and place into the mixing bowl. Mix together.
Then drop in an egg into the mixture and mix it in.
Then put in breadcrumbs and do a final mix.
Season with salt and pepper.
Thinly slice shiitake and button mushrooms as well as the onions.
Separate the enoki mushroom from each other with your hands.
Make sauce: Mix-in soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and rice wine
Place large frying pan on medium heat and put in cooking oil (wait until frying pan is hot!).
Place tofu steak patties in and flip when golden brown.
Cook until each side is golden brown. Set aside.
Put oil into frying pan and place onions in.
Once onions start turning clear, add in all of the mushrooms. Cook until you get some browning on the mushrooms.
Then add in the sauce. Then put about 3T of water in.
Let the sauce cook and reduce for about a minute. Then turn off the heat.
Finish by placing sesame oil into the sauce.
- Note this recipe includes eggs and oyster sauce.
- Make sure to cook the patties on a medium or medium-low heat, as will burn on higher heats.
- Also, you can replace breadcrumbs with either flour or potato starch - makes firmer patties
- Watch video below for more details