Gamja Jorim - A simple potato banchan
Gamja Jorim is a perfect beginner’s recipe into the world of Korean banchan cooking. It is simply diced potatoes that are braised in garlic soy-sauce.
Servings: 2 people
- Potato - 3 whole 450 grams, use waxy potatoes
- Onion - ½ whole
- Carrot - ⅕ whole
- Spring onion - 1 Tablespoon
- Water - 3 Tablespoon
- Soy sauce - 3 teaspoon
- Minced garlic - 1 teaspoon
- Corn syrup - 1 teaspoon Honey is good too
- Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cut potatoes into small ¾ inch pieces. Cut onions into thin slices. Cut carrots into bite-size pieces. Thinly slice spring onions.
Place potatoes pieces into a bowl and fill with cold water. Let it sit in there for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
Pour oil into large frying pan and place on medium heat (not high heat!). Cook potatoes in oil until they turn fully translucent (80% cooked through).
Then add in the onions and carrots. Add braising sauce to the frying pan. Mix over medium heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
Turn off heat and add sesame oil. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- You can use honey instead of corn syrup
- Watch video below for more details