Chicken Kalguksu is Korea's version of chicken noodle soup (for the soul!). This recipe is very easy to make at home.
- Chicken - 400 grams
- Potato - 1 medium-sized
- Fresh Kalguksu noodles - 2 servings
- Onion - ½ a whole
- Spring onion - 10-inch piece
- Water - 6 cups
- Fish sauce - 3 tablespoons
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Minced garlic - 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper - sprinkle
Put oil into a large pot. Turn on a high heat. Once the oil is hot, place all chicken pieces skin-side down. Let the chicken pieces cook until they get a nice golden-brown sear on one side. Once they get a sear, flip them over.
Then put in the onion pieces. Once the onion pieces turn slightly translucent, add the water into the pot. Then season the water with fish sauce, salt and minced garlic. Wait until the pot comes back up to a boil.
Once the pot comes to boil, let it boil for 5 minutes. Then add in the potato pieces. Let it cook for additional 5 minutes - so the potato pieces to cook through.
In the meanwhile, dip the kalguksu noodles in cold water (to get rid of the excess flour) and then place into the soup.
Boil noodles for 5 minutes. Finally, use a soup ladle to skim the surface and take-off any leftover scum. Turn off heat and its ready to serve. Place noodles, chicken and potato strips into a serving bowl. Garnish the bowl with spring onion (or scallions) and a pinch of black pepper!
- When soaking the flour noodles, simply dip them in-n-out of the water. Don’t try to wash them or move them around too much... they will turn sloppy and break off.
- Recipe by Chef Baek Jong Won
- For more details, watch video below