When you have some kimchi left in the refrigerator, you make pancakes out of them!
Servings: 4 people
- Kimchi - 2 cups
- Flour - 1 cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Korean red chili flakes gochugaru - 1 tablespoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon optional, if you are using aged kimchi
Cut the kimchi into small pieces. Then use scissor to chop them into even smaller pieces (~2 cm). Place them into a large mixing bowl.
Place flour, water and red chili flakes into mixing bowl as well (add sugar if you're using old kimchi). Thoroughly mix together.
Put frying pan on medium-high heat. Then add oil and reduce to medium heat. Use a soup ladle and pour two spoonfuls of batter. Press down on the batter with the soup ladle and gently mold into a circle.
Fry on each side for 30 seconds and check that each side turns golden brown (leave on for longer if needed)
- Double-check the expiration date on your flour - I've made this mistake more than once!
- Tastes best when served hot!
- Recipe inspired by Chef Baek Jong Won
- Watch video below for hands-on direction