Seoul Bulgogi Pot
Bulgogi, mushrooms and broth all in one pan.
Servings: 3 people
- Thinly Sliced Beef - 400 grams use Shabu Shabu cuts
- Korean Potato Starch Noodles - a small handful (optional) Dangmyeon
- Oyster mushrooms - a handful
- Enoki mushrooms - 1/2 a package or small handful
- Onion - 1 whole
- Water - 1/2 cup add in when you cook the stew
- Korean pear - 1 whole should make ~1 cup of pear juice
- Soy Sauce - 1/3 cup
- Sugar - 1 Tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 1 Tablespoon
- Honey - 1 Tablespoon
Final touches for the stew
- Soy Sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- Sesame oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Spring onion - small stalk size of your forearm
- Sesame seeds - few shakes
Fill a small bowl with cold water. Place the potato starch noodles in and let them soak for 15-20 minutes.
Cut the stems off the oyster mushroom and enoki mushroom. Use your fingers to split the oyster mushrooms apart from each other.
Cut the spring onion into thin slices.
Then cut the onion in half and then into thin slices.
Marinade Beef Slices
Peel the Korean Pear and cut into smaller pieces. Then grate each piece into a mixing bowl. Use a strainer to catch the chunks and squeeze out any remaining juice into the bowl. You will need exactly 1 cup. (If you come up short, feel free to add in a little bit of store-bought pear juice).
Next, add-in Soy Sauce (1/3 cup), Sugar (1 Tablespoon), Minced Garlic (1 Tablespoon) and Honey (1 Tablespoon).
Next, add in the sliced onions into the marinade.
Finally, add the sliced beef into the marinad. De-tangle each meat piece as you add it in. Let it soak for 30 minutes.
Cook the Stew
Place a large frying pan on a medium-high heat. (Don't add in any oil.) When its hot, use a pair of tongs to grab the soaking meat pieces and place directly into the frying pan. Add in the onion pieces as well. (Note: Do not dump-in the leftover marinade into the frying pan. There's enough marinade already soaked into the meat)
Next, the most important step: Add in water (1/2 cup) to dilute the marinade.
Once the pan starts to boil, move the meat to one side. Then grab the potato starch noodles out of the water and place into the pan. Add-in the enoki and oyster mushrooms. Then place a lid on and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes, give the broth a taste. It may taste slightly bland: Add in Soy Sauce (1 Tablespoon), Sesame Oil (1 Tablespoon), and the spring onion slice.
Turn heat off. Garnish with a few shakes of sesame seeds.
Bon Appetit! Eat with a bowl of hot rice.
- Don't forget to add in that 1/2 cup of water as you cook the stew.
- If you will use store-bought pear juice, don't add in the 1T of sugar.
- See video below for more details