Japgokbap - Multigrain Rice
Upgrade your rice! Cook multi-grains with your white rice.
Servings: 3 people
- Short grain white rice (멥쌀) - 1 cup
- Mixed grains - 1 cup
- Short grain glutinous rice (찹쌀)
- Short grain brown rice (현미쌀)
- Yellow glutinous millet 찰수수 [aka Sorghum bicolor]
- Red glutinous millet 찰기장 [aka Sorghum bicolor]
- Water - 2 cups
- Glutinous black rice 흑미쌀 - 1.5 Tablespoons
- Black Adzuki beans 검은팥 - a handful
Make multi-grain mix
Take out a large mixing bowl. Pour equal amounts of each multi-grain into a bowl. Mix it all together with your hand. Store the multi-grain mix in a Tupperware.
Note: Do not add the black rice or black Adzuki beans into the multi-grain mix - keep each in a separate bag or Tupperware.
Soak grains & beans
Measure 1 cup of your multi-grain mix and pour into a mixing bowl. Rinse and wash the multi-grains 2x under running water. Finally, cover the mix with water.
Let the mix sit and soak for at least 3 hours.
Repeat this for your beans. Let the beans soak for at least 3 hours as well
Note: It may be easier to soak them overnight - rather than waiting 3 hours during the day. It's completely okay to soak the beans or rice for much longer than 3 hours!
Add 1 cup of short grain white rice to the mixing bowl with the soaking multi-grain mix.
Then add a handful of the soaked beans into the bowl as well.
Finally, add 1.5 Tablespoons of the black rice into the bowl. Give it a thorough mix with your hand.
Then, pour the wet rice mixture into a strainer. Discard the remaining water.
Then, take out a thick-bottomed pot. Place the mixed rice in. Pour in 2 cups of fresh cold water. Put a lid on. Then place the pot on a medium-high heat and bring it to a boil.
Once you hear it boiling, lift the lid and quickly mix the rice with a spoon.
Then, place the lid back on and reduce the heat to a low (simmer). Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Then take it off the stovetop. And let it sit by itself for 10 minutes. This is an important step - the rice will steam in the residual heat.
After 10 minutes, the rice should be ready. Eat alongside a bowl of banchan!
Note: If rice seems undercooked, close the lid and let it sit for longer in the pot. However, if the pot has lot most of its heat, place it back on the stove-top and cook for longer on a low heat.
- You don't have to make your own custom mix. Korean marts will sell multi-grain mixes.
- If you pay the grains separately, look for the word '찹', this means it is glutinous. Pick this one - taste much tastier
- If you want to save the rice, put it into ziploc bags and freeze right after cooking.
- See video for more details