Soondubu - Spicy Korean Tofu Stew
Soondubu is a spicy Korean stew that is made with freshly curdled soft tofu, vegetables, and meat. Make it under 10 minutes!
Servings: 2 people
- 1 cup Onion
- 1/2 cup Spring onion
- 1/2 cup Minced pork
- 1 Cup Gochugaru (Korean Red Chili Flakes)
- 1/4 Cup Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Minced garlic
- 1/3 Cup Soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons Soondubu paste (shown above)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Tube of Silken Tofu (350 grams)
- 1 Shiitake mushroom
- 3-4 Clams
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Spring onion
- Few Shakes Black pepper
Dice onions and spring onion into small pieces. Give your minced meat one more chop.
Place each ingredient listed under "Soondubu Paste" onto small dishes (except for the vegetable and sesame oil).
Mix the vegetable oil and sesame oil together in a separate dish. Set aside.
Pour the mixed oil into a large frying pan. Once oil is hot, place in spring onions.
When spring onions are sizzling, place in minced pork. Then add in chopped onions. Cook onions until they turn translucent and there is little left-over liquid in the pan.
Then add in minced garlic and mix well. Then add in Korean chill flakes. Lower heat.
Add in salt and and sugar. Then add in soy sauce. Give final mix and set the paste aside in a bowl to cool-off.
Pour water and Soondubu paste into pot. Thoroughly mix-in the paste as the water comes to a boil.
Once the water is boiling, add in the mushrooms and seafood (or other meats). Add in tofu. Break tofu up with a spoon. Let it cook for one minute.
Drop in egg. Garnish with spring onion slices and black pepper. Eat with rice!
- After you drop-in the paste, make sure to use a spoon to dissolve it into the boiling water. After you place in the tofu, break it into smaller pieces with your spoon so that all of the tofu curds can get flavored in the sauce. If you are vegetarian, replace the minced pork (in the paste) with diced button mushrooms.
- Place left-over paste in a few ziploc bags. Use your hands to flatten out the paste. Then store in the freezer. Will keep for 2-3 months.
- See video below for more details