Mapo Tofu - Tofu Lover's Go-To Dish
Mapo Tofu is very soft tofu that is set in a spicy chili sauce with minced meat. A tofu-lover's go-to dish!
Servings: 2 people
- Tofu - 500 grams use 1 block of tofu, medium-firm
- Spring onion - 1 stem
- Onion - 0.5 whole
- Minced pork - 100 grams
- Soy sauce - 2 Tablespoon
- Korean red chili flakes - 2 Tablespoon
- Sugar - 1 Tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Doenjang paste - 0.5 Tablespoon
- Potato starch - 1 Tablespoon (or use corn starch)
- Water - 2 Tablespoons
Cut tofu block into bite-sized cubes (refer to video for details).
Dice spring onion, onion, and pork into small pieces.
Put frying pan on medium-high heat and pour oil into it. Place spring onion into oil.
Once the spring onion begins to sizzle, put in onion and minced meat. Cook until the meat is no longer red. Then turn off the heat.
Pour in soy sauce, Korean red chili flakes, sugar, minced garlic, and salt. Stir throughly and mix seasoning into meat.
Then pour in 1 cup of water. Put in the Doenjang as well.
Turn on medium-high heat and bring pan back up to a boil while stirring - stir-in that doenjang.
Pour-in Tofu and Thicken Sauce
While the sauce is coming back up to a boil, make the starch mixture. Mix 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of starch powder in a small cup.
When your sauce starts to boil, gently place in the tofu cubes. Make sure the tofu are throughly coated.
Then pour about half of the starch liquid into the sauce - in a circular motion. The sauce will start to thicken. Add more if you need.
Garnish with scallions and/or sesame seeds.
Eat with rice
- Pour-in the starch water mixture slowly – you may not need the full amount.
- Also pour the mixture around your pan to avoid thickening the sauce in only one spot.
- Watch video below for more details