Spring Onion Korean Fried Chicken - My Favorite KFC!
This is hands-down my favorite KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) recipe! We double-fry chicken until its extra crispy. Then top it with spring onion strips and pour over a sweet and tangy Asian dressing
- Chicken - 1 whole 600 grams, or use any thigh, drumsticks
- Salt - 2 teaspoon
- Minced garlic - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg - 1
- Flour - 3/4 cup if you have Korean frying mix 퇴김가루, use that
- Potato starch - 3/4 cup
- Spring onion - 1 stalk
- Soy sauce - 3 Tablespoon
- Water - 1 Tablespoon
- Lemon juice - 1 Tablespoon
- Vinegar - 2 Tablespoon
- Honey - 2 Tablespoon
- Olive oil - 1/2 Tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 2/3 Tablespoon
Score the chicken and place into a mixing bowl. Place in salt, minced garlic and black pepper.
Give a thorough mix and rub onto the chicken (careful not to tear-off the skin from the chicken).
Let it rest for at least 15 min.
Pour soy sauce, water, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, olive oil and minced garlic together.
Spring Onion Prep
Split spring onion strips in half (white stalk portion). Separate each layer from each other.
Fold in half. Make thin Julienne cuts (reference video).
Fill a bowl with very cold water and let the strips soak in the water for 10 minutes. This will help get rid of the strong onion taste.
Drop an egg into the mixing bowl with the chicken pieces.
Then take out a separate mixing bowl and put-in the flour and potato starch. Mix this together. Then pour this mix back into the bowl with the chicken (from step above). Mix everything together and get each chicken piece thoroughly coated.
Shake off the excess flour and place each coated chicken strip onto a separate rack or plate for frying.
Take out a frying pot or work and fill with cooking oil. Bring the oil up to 150 degrees Celsius (~300F). Gently place each chicken piece into oil and let it cook until light brown (10-15 min). Take the chicken out and let them rest. Technically, you can finish here!
If you would like to double-fry for an extra crispy texture, raise the oil to 180 degrees (~350) and double-fry until golden brown.
- I am a using a whole chicken (with bone-in). But feel free to use any chicken cut - thighs, drumsticks, breasts
- Make sure to use potato starch - this is what makes it extra crispy
- See video below for more details