Soybean Sprout Bowl. It's another rice bowl that I remember from my childhood. Growing up, I remember cooking this dish, alongside a few banchans for the family. I was not particularly interested in cooking back then. But it had a more strategic role...
I knew if I cooked for the family, I could accrue future "good-will" from my mother. Kinda like a "Get Out Of Jail" Monopoly card for helping her out in the kitchen. I was quite a mischievous kid - so I needed to save up as much goodwill as I could. After all, I still had a stash of fart bombs and a new laser pointer I needed to test in my Neighbourhood 🤓
So on the weekends, I usually opted for this quick and easy recipe. All you need is one bag of soybean sprouts and basic Korean pantry sauces:
Soybean Sprout Bowl
- 3 Cups Soybean Sprouts
- 1 Cup Short-Grain Rice
- 5 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Korean red chili flakes (Gochugaru)
- ½ teaspoon Sesame oil
- Small handful of Sliced Spring onion (Garnish) Optional
- Take the stem tips off each soybean sprout (optional).
- Take out a large pot. Put sprouts in and fill it with water. Bring pot up to a boil. While you wait, place a strainer over a large mixing bowl (note: we will save and reuse the boiling water).
- Once pot comes up to a boil, turn off the heat. Pour the pot out into the strainer. Now you should have the beansprouts in the strainer and the residual water in the large mixing bowl.
- Rinse the blanched bean sprouts in cold water and place aside for marinade.
- Use the residual water to cook your rice (key step!)
- For the marinade: Pour Soy Sauce (5 teaspoons), Sugar (1 teaspoon), Gochugaru (1 teaspoon), Sesame Oil (½ teaspoon) and diced spring onions into a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Assemble the bowl: Put rice on the bottom of the bowl. Then add the blanched bean sprouts and few scoops of the marinade on top of the rice.
- Give it a nice mix and you are ready to eat.
- Fry up an egg sunny-side up and place it on top of the bowl (optional).
- Make a few banchans to accompany the rice bowl
- Watch video below for specific instructions