Shiitake Donburi is another simple and delicious 15 minute bowl! This veggie bowl is packed with healthy vegetables and serves as a nice post-gym or after-work meal.
What does it taste like? It starts with a salty and slightly sweet taste from the soy-sauce glazed Shiitake mushrooms. Then you will taste a light crunch from the diced asparagus and fresh mungbean sprouts, followed the creaminess of the avocados. Overall, it has a dynamic range of flavors and textures. Try it out at home and get a break from all the meat you usually eat throughout the week.
Key taste variable: Soy Sauce Glaze. This glaze uses only three ingredients. If you don't have mirin, simply use a white wine.
Shiitake Donburi with Asparagus and Avocado
- Shiitake mushrooms - 4
- Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- Asparagus - 2
- Mungbean Sprouts - ⅓ cup
- Avocado - ½ whole
- Scallions - Garnish
- Rice - 1 cup
Soy Sauce glaze
- Soy sauce - 2 Tablespoon
- Mirin - 2 Tablespoon
- Maple syrup - 2 Tablespoon
- Place all listed glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Put a frying pan on medium heat. Once hot, place mixture in. Let mixture boil and foam up with bubbles (roughly 2 minutes). This means that it has thickened-up
- Turn off the heat and pour glaze into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Cut shiitake mushrooms into thin slices. Drizzle a teaspoon of sesame oil over sliced mushrooms and mix in with your hands.
- Cut the ends off the asparagus. Then cut them at a slight angle.
- Wash mungbean sprouts and let excess water drain off.
- Put frying pan on medium high heat. Place shiitake mushrooms and asparagus in. Cook until mushrooms and asparagus get a nice brown charring.
- Then pour glaze in and coat the veggies. Turn off heat.
- Put rice into a large bowl.
- Put handful of mungbean sprouts on top. Then pour the glazed veggies over the sprouts. Add guacamole slices to one side.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Watch video below for more details