Roasted seaweed Snack is becoming mainstream in the US. When I visited Costco in California, I saw a whole section dedicated to seaweed snacks – right next to the Lay’s potato chips!
Many people are becoming more aware of the high nutrition value of seaweed. In fact, seaweed has one of the highest density of vitamins and mineral of any vegetable on the planet. It packs high levels of vitamin A and C, and calcium. Furthermore, it also has particularly high amounts of iodine, potassium, selenium, iron and magnesium. And best of all, it is low in calories!
If you have never had it before, buy a small bag to see if you like the taste. I must admit that the seaweed sheets are quite addictive – hard to just have one or two. If you enjoy the taste, try making it at home following the instructions listed below. These seaweed sheets taste great by themselves but best with a scoop of sticky rice. You can also add some banchan (like Kimchi) on top of the rice and turn it into a mini-meal.
Roasted Seaweed Snack - DIY
Yield 4 people
Here how to roast and season seaweed sheets. They are packed with nutrients, vitamin A and C, and calcium. Best of all, low in calories!
- Seaweed sheets - 20 sheets (Buy the un-roasted + un-salted kind)
- Sesame oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt - 1 Tablespoon
- Put on a plastic glove (or use a kitchen brush) and coat each seaweed sheet with sesame oil. Coat only one-side.
- Then get a pinch of salt (just a pinch!) and sprinkle onto the side with the oil.
Cooking Seaweed Sheets
- Place a frying pan on medium-low heat. Wait until the pan becomes hot.
- Place seaweed sheet in and immediately pat down with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 seconds - the sheet will turn dark green.
- Flip the sheet over and pat-down again for 3 seconds. That's it. Repeat for others.
- Reduce the heat if it cook too fast and burns.
- Cut sheets in half. Then cut into thirds.
- For storage, place in ziploc bag or tupperware and place into the freezer (not the refrigerator!)
- You can also use perilla oil to coat the seaweed
- Watch video below for more details