Ramen Fried Rice – it sounds wrong no?
Well sometimes, you got to be a little naughty. Today we’ll stir-fry rice with ramen!
Do a little carb-on-carb action.Now, I know it sounds strange – but trust me, it’s surprisingly good!
The seasoning packet in the ramen contains the right amount of salt, flavor and umami to transform white rice into a delicious fried rice.
The best part about this recipe is the contrast in chewing texture. You have both the soft chew of rice and the chewy pull of noodles in one bite.
Not to mention the familiar flavor of leftover ramen broth… ah so good!
I recommend using a Spicy Korean Ramen like Shin Ramen or Neoguri.
Or Jjapaghetti (which is Jajangmyeon flavor) – actually, this one tasted even better!
Cooking Notes for Ramen Fried Rice:
I recommend using CUP ramen. It contains just the right amount of noodles (as we’ll add another ½ cup of rice) for a 1-person serving.
Plus, you can use the cup to shape your rice before serving.
Now, if you can’t find cup ramen in your area – regular packet ramen will work too.
Note: Packet ramen typically contains about twice as much noodles (~120g) as the cup version (~65g).
So crumble it inside the packet and use only half the noodles for a 1 person serving!
How much water should I add?
Just fill enough to barely submerge the noodles! If you add to much, you dilute the flavor of your fried rice.
Alright neighbors, let me know if you try this mini meal at home! Let me also know which ramen you used – I would like to try other kinds too!
Don’t forget to tag us on IG! We love flipping through your pictures in the morning 😉
Daniel out! 🕺
(P.s. If you’re cooking alone, don’t get bored. Consider listening to our latest podcast episode while you cook!)
- 1 Korean Cup Ramen (65g size)
- ½ Cup Cooked Rice
- Small handful of Chopped Spring Onion (Green Onions or Scallions are fine too)
- 1 Egg
- Open Cup Ramen. Carefully shake out the noodles into a ziploc bag and crumble it into small pieces.
- Place the crumbled noodles back into the Ramen Cup. Add in the seasoning packet and dried ingredients.
- Then pour some boiling water into the Cup Ramen - just enough to barely cover the noodles! Set it aside and let it cook.
- Finely dice a small stalk of spring onion into small pieces.
- Place some cooking oil into a frying pan. Then add-in the spring onion pieces. Stir-fry the spring onion pieces around until they start to sizzle.
- Crack-in an egg and scramble it.
- Then add in ½ cup of Cooked Rice.
- Now stir your ramen cup and the cooked noodles into the frying pan.
- Stir everything until the fried rice is evenly mixed.
- Place the fried rice back into the cup. Flip it upside down and onto a plate - Bon Appetit!