Ahh – I’m happy to share this simple but addictive recipe with the Neighborhood!
Kujirai Ramen is hands down - the second best way - to eat Spicy Korean Ramen.
(The best way being the original way – duh!)
This Kujirai Ramen actually comes from a Japanese Comic Series. In one story, the character makes ramen in a frying pan without just a small amount of water – english translation below!
Fans of this comic strip actually tried it out in real life.
It became a hit “recipe” – turning viral on Korean Social Media, and even being featured on a mainstream Korean TV variety show.
Katie saw it on TV and gave it a shot this past weekend!I’ve never been able to resist the smell of ramen being cooked. That perfume made its way into my room I slowly tip-toe’d into the kitchen.
One bite quickly turned into two. And then, I ended up robbing half of Katie’s meal – heh!
The taste is of course, familiar – that spicy, addictive flavor of Shin Ramen. But the ramen is coated with melted American cheese and the runny, poached egg.
It’s sooo good!
But my favorite part about cooking ramen this way is that it doesn’t leave you feeling heavy.
That’s because you’re not drinking any broth.
No bloating afterwards – or the puffer face in the morning 😉
Cooking Notes for Kujirai Ramen:
We’ve made this recipe a handful of times and experimented with adding-in different amounts of the seasoning packet.
Conclusion: Adding-in ½ the seasoning packet is the best.
It provides just the right balance of spice and saltiness.
Also, use a measuring cup to get the right amount of water - 300ml (1.25 cups)!
When it comes to cheese, I recommend using Sliced American Cheese. It melts easily and tastes great with ramen (no need to throw in anything special).
Alrighty Neighbors, I hope you give this recipe a try at home! Tell us what you think – is your verdict similar to ours?
Tag us on IG with a pic – we love scrolling through them in the morning! It gives us an extra skippity step to start the day!
-Daniel out 🕺
(P.s. If you’re cooking alone, don’t get bored. Consider listening to our latest podcast episode while you cook!)
- 1 Package of Shin Ramen (or other Spicy Korean Ramen)
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Slice American Cheese
- Few handfuls Chopped Green Onion
- 1.25 Cups Water (300 ml)
- Place in 300ml of water (1.25 cups) into a frying pan.
- Bring it up to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the dried ramen noodles.
- Then, add in the dried veggies packet.
- Next, add-in only ½ the Spicy Seasoning Packet! (IMPORTANT)
- Let the noodles boil until it starts to loosen. Use your chopsticks to loosen the noodles. Then create a small circle in the middle of the pan.
- Drop-in an egg into the middle of the pan.
- Place lid on. Reduce heat to a LOW. Let it cook for 1 minute!
- After 1 minute, lift the lid. Place 1 slice of American Cheese and add-on the chopped green onions.
- Take it off the heat. Place it on the table and eat it straight out of the frying pan!