Korean Street Toast is my go-to breakfast when I simply not in the mood to eat Korean food. It’s cheap, fast and perfect for a quick grab n’ go breakfast.
In Seoul, you will find food vendors near subway stations and bus stops that sell this morning ‘toast’ during the morning commuting hours (See video here of a famous toast vendor in Seoul). While Korean call it ‘toast’, it is more closer to an egg breakfast sandwich. Korean Street toast is buttery toasted bread with an egg omelette filled with cabbage and carrots. It sounds a bit quirky, but it is delicious and addictive.
There are three key steps to remember if you would like to re-create an authentic Seoul street vendor taste. The first step is mix in cabbage and carrots into the egg omelette. The second is to add a pinch of sugar onto the egg to give a sweet undertone. Third step is to add some raw diced cabbage and carrots on top of the egg omelette to give it that crunch!
Try it out on a lazy Sunday morning!
Korean Street Breakfast
Yield 1 person
This is how Korea's version of a breakfast sandwich. It's all about the thinly sliced cabbage and a fluffy egg omelette.
- Sandwich bread - 2 slices
- Egg - 1
- Cabbage - 1/2 cup
- Carrot - 1/3 whole
- American sliced cheese - 1 slice
- Sliced ham - 1 slice
- Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - pinch
Making Egg Omelette
- Thinly slice cabbage and carrots into julienne cuts and place in a mixing bowl (Note: save some of the cabbage and carrots for last step).
- Crack an egg into the mixing bowl and stir-it in with the cabbage and carrot slices. Season with a few shakes of salt.
- Put butter on the frying pan and toast both sides of your bread.
- Lightly butter the pan again and pour egg mix onto frying pan. Cook the egg and flip-over when the omelette is fully set.
- Lightly sprinkle some sugar over the egg. Set egg aside
- Quickly fry-up the ham slice.
- Place egg, cheese, and ham onto bread.
- Then add extra cabbage and carrots on top.
- Add a layer of Ketchup and enjoy.
- Make sure to add some cabbage and carrots to the egg mixture. Gives a nice crunch and texture.
- See video below for more details