Korean Grilled Eggplant banchan is a delicious way to cook eggplant. To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of eggplant. I think its because of the tough skin and the spongy texture. But in college, I tasted this banchan at a Korean restaurant in LA and it made me reconsider...
The marinade was on point - salty, slightly spicy and tangy. I remember it pairing very well with the meat dish that I ordered. I took a picture of the eggplant banchan and asked my mother to help me come up with a recipe.
Note: In the Youtube video, I used a dining spoon. I have converted it to standard teaspoon measurement below.
Korean Grilled Eggplant Banchan
- Eggplant - 1
- Soy sauce - ½ tablespoon
- Spring onion - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- Gochugaru Korean red chili flakes - 1 teaspoon
- Minced garlic - ½ teaspoon
- Sugar - ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper - a pinch
- Sesame seeds - ½ teaspoon optional, garnish
- Wash eggplant and cut into thin rounds
- Place frying-pan on high heat. Once hot, place eggplant in - without any oil or butter. Cook on one-side until you see some browning. Then flip until you get some browning on the other side (Note: There is lot of water in eggplants – you will hear the pan sizzle from the water coming out)
- For the marinade: Take out a mixing bowl and put in soy sauce, sesame oil, red chili flakes, sugar, minced garlic and black pepper. Place-in spring onions as well. (Note: It may not look like alot of marinade - but we do not need too much)
- Toss grilled eggplant slices in the marinade. Use two spoons to help you toss and coat.
- Eat with a bowl of hot sticky rice - bon appetit!
- Watch video below for visual walk-thru
Oh this looks delicious! If I make a big batch how long will this last in the fridge?
Soooo good, I did add some flaky salt while it slowly grilled.
Tried it. Loved it! Gonna make again ^^
Hi guys! I just stumbled across your page and this recipe and it looks delicious. Do you need to salt the eggplant beforehand to let water out as you often do with other eggplant dishes? You have some really great recipes I'm excited to try. Thanks!