Dubu Jorim is a popular Korean banchan. In short, it is tofu that is pan-fried and reduced in a spicy braising sauce. It is an awesome recipe for those who are new to tofu or want to give it a second chance.
Growing up in the states, I was always confused to why so many people hated on tofu (with the inevitable reference to the infamous ‘tofurkey‘). In our household, my mother usually prepared this Dubu Jorim dish as a side-dish for breakfast. A bowl of hot sticky rice and tofu was a good way to start the mornings – healthy, simple and light on the stomach!
In this recipe, we will braise the tofu to create a crunchy skin and a soft inside that can soak up the spicy braising sauce. If you try it out, you may find yourself craving tofu on a regular basis. That’s a good thing!
Note: In the video, I use 2 teaspoons of sugar. Some of our fans commented that it was a bit on the sweeter side. I have since changed the suggested amount to 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Dubu Jorim - Spicy Braised Tofu
- Firm Tofu - 300 grams
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce - 3 Tablespoons
- Korean red chili flakes - 1 Tablespoon
- Minced garlic - 1/2 Tablespoon
- Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Spring onion - 1/2 stalk
- Cut the tofu into quarter inch pieces and pat them dry with paper towels (less moisture, crispier skin).
- Put your frying pan on a hight heat. Drop some oil into the pan and fry the tofu on both-sides, until golden brown.
Make Braising Sauce
- Mix water, soy sauce, Korean red chili flakes, sugar, minced garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil and sliced spring onions in a mixing bowl. (Save some of the spring onions for garnish)
- Turn the frying pan on a high heat. Pour the braising sauce into the frying pan and let it boil away for about 10 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Once the sauce reduces to a syrup-like consistency, put the fried tofu pieces into the pan and give it a thorough coating.
- Turn off the heat and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator - taste good cold as well
- Eat with a bowl of hot rice
- Watch video for more details