Daniel's Night Salad - Egg Over Easy, Bacon & Vinaigrette!
“Eh, I’m sick of rice.” “It’s getting late.” “I’m feeling slightly hungry.”
If you find yourself on this train of thought, let me introduce a simple night salad - that you'll love!
When I was living in Tokyo, I frequented a nearby izakaya a lot - almost 4x a week.
And this salad was one of my favorite dishes to order.Yes, I know it’s a salad. (But all the locals seem to order it as well - a good sign!)
The night salad was a nice way to end the day, feeling light.
I could go home and actually get some things done without the food coma.
At the Izakaya, they made this night salad with baby spinach.
The bacon came out sizzling.
And the egg was done over-easy.
I absolutely loved it!
The combination of the runny yolk - mixing with the salty, sweet & tart flavors of the oriental dressing worked beautifully.
Cooking tips for Night Salad
For this salad, I highly recommend using Balsamic Vinaigrette or Oriental Dressing.
Today, I’ll show you a delicious homemade Oriental dressing recipe - with fresh onions and black sesame seeds.
The black sesame seeds are more for the visual, as they provide contrast to the white background of the egg (but in terms of flavor, regular sesame seeds will work just as well).
Important: If you have leftover salad dressing, you can store it in the refrigerator.
But please be aware, that homemade salad dressing will solidify due to the extra virgin olive oil.
To remedy this, you can simply leave the container out at room temperature (or run the container under hot water), and it should return to its fluid state again.
Better yet, simply use up all of the salad dressing in the same day!
If you're down with the night salad - tag us on IG. I get energized by your photos 😉
-Daniel Out 🕺
(P.s. If you’re cooking alone, don’t get bored. Consider listening to our latest podcast episode while you cook!)
- 2 strips Bacon
- 1 Egg
- Handful Baby Greens (Spinach, Kale, Etc)
- 1 Slice Artisanal Toast (Optional)
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Diced Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
- 6 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Honey (or Oligodang Syrup)
Make Oriental Dressing
- Dice ¼ an onion into fine pieces.
- Mix together: Finely Diced Onions (4 Tablespoons), Black Sesame Seeds (1 Tablespoon), Soy Sauce (6 Tablespoons), Extra Virgin Olive Oil (6 Tablespoons), Lemon Juice (4 Tablespoons) and Honey (3 Tablespoons).
Cook Bacon & Eggs
- Place a handful of baby greens onto a plate - set aside.
- Cut 2 strips of bacon into smaller pieces.
- Place the frying pan on medium-high heat. Once its hot, place the bacon strips in.
- Let it fry until the strips start to turn crispy (to liking).
- Move bacon to one side and in the leftover grease (or add a little bit of vegetable oil) - crack in one egg.
- Sprinkle on a few pinches of salt to the egg. Once the egg start to firm up, flip it over and let it cook for another 30 seconds.
- Place the bacon strips on top of the baby greens. Then place-on the over-easy egg. Scoop on a few spoonfuls of the salad dress and enjoy!
- Optional: Make some toast on the side - and eat with your salad.