Classic Korean Tofu. It's the first banchan I learned how to make! And I still make it till this day. Slices of fresh tofu are pan-fried to a slight crisp and topped with a dollop of soy-sauce marinade. Set it on the table, alongside a few other banchan and a bowl of fresh rice. And it's simply perfect. If you've been looking for simple, healthy and delicious banchan, this is one of them!
When it comes to tofu, I highly recommend buying a Korean brand (we like the brand Pulmuone). The tofu is soft and tender and the ingredients are high-grade. I've tried American-style tofu before and could understand why many Westerners say it taste like "rubber"...
- For this recipe, purchase "Firm" tofu. There should be a colored label that indicates the firmness.
- Make sure to pat-down the surface of the tofu. This way it gets a crispy-surface.
- Don't over-salt the tofu pieces - we will dab-on our soy-sauce marinade at the end (so just a few sprinkles in the beginning)
- Make sure to cook some rice on the side - this banchan will taste salty on its own.
- The sauce will be enough for up to 600 grams of tofu (4 person serving). Save the leftovers or cook alot at once!
- 1 Block of Tofu (400-600 grams)
- Few pinches Salt
- Few pinches Black Pepper
Soy Sauce Marinade
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- ½ Tablespoon Gochugaru
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Green Onion Spring Onion
- ½ Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- ½ Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- Carefully remove the tofu block out of the package and drain out the water. Cut the tofu into small rectangular pieces (each about the width of your pinky finger). Then use a few paper towels and gently pat down the surface of the tofu (don't press too hard - you'll break them). Flip them over and pat-down the other side as well. This will create a dry surface - so you can get a crispy surface when frying.
- Season both sides with a few shakes of salt and black pepper - don't add too much!
Make Sauce Marinade
- Take out a bowl and thoroughly mix: Soy Sauce (2 Tablespoons), Gochugaru (½ Tablespoon), Chopped Green Onion (2 Tablespoons), Sesame Seeds (½ Tablespoon) and Sesame Oil (½ Tablespoon).
- Place frying pan on a medium heat. Place some oil in. Once the pan is hot, place the tofu pieces in. Let it cook on one side for 4-5 minutes. Then flip each over. Now place a small dollop of the marinade on each piece. Let it cook for a final 3-4 minutes (or until the bottom side is slightly crispy too).
- Plate and serve with a bowl of hot rice! Enjoy life 🙂
Yes. Easy. Delicious. In my go to list for a while now. If you’re just starting out doing this, this is for you.
This recipe is only the second time I've ever made tofu. I will be making it again! Delicious.
So quick and tasty! It’s made it to the ‘go to’ banchan list!
this recipe is so easy and so good. thank you!!